Lying on the southern edge of the country along the Red Sea coast, Eilat is one of my favorite spots in Israel.
But only between October to February, when it’s not inferno hot outside all the time.
Most Israelis will say they hate the place and that it’s full with “Arsim” (the Hebrew word for a douche?) But I guess every beach town will have them.
The city is in a way stuck in the 70’s. Simple ugly building style, everything is laid back, chilled and the hostels will manually fill paper receipts. No important historical places, it’s ridiculously hot most of the year.
So what’s so good about this place?
Some of the fine nature spots of Israel are found around Eilat.
Eilat is located at the edge of the Gulf of Aqaba and is very interesting from a geological perspective, calm blue sea surrounded by high mountains. Because there’s a lot of magmatic rocks in the area, the mountains are very colorful. it all creates a very dramatic landscape.
I recommended a day hike to a German friend of mine in those mountains and she said it was one of the best hikes she ever did in her life. And trust her, she’s been hiking in the US, Europe, and Asia.
Some of the best desert hikes of Israel are in these mountains.
It is also the end of the 970km Israel trail hike.
Diving in Eilat
more info on this page.
-The diving sites are south of the City.
A video which gives the atmosphere of the sea and the desert, dry and wet. This guy is a free diver, on the diving in Eilat page you will see a scuba video.
Wind and kite surfing in Eilat
The place is also very good for wind and kite surfing. The sea conditions are very good almost the entire year and the clubs here have some champions in global scale including one Olympic windsurfer bronze medalist Shahar Tsuberi. Sup surfing is also slowly becoming popular.
Overview Guide To Eilat:
Map of Eilat and the southern coastline:
The city itself is built on a steep slope. The upper part is where people are living in old 70’s building style and as you get down close to the beaches, there is a fancier modern residential area, commercial and tourist’s areas. There is a big fancy touristy promenade along the main beach with restaurants and shopping centers.
if you have a look at the map of Eilat you will notice that the city is quite small.
for info about the southern coastline go here.
- Eilat is a free VAT tax area. It means it is cheaper than the rest of Israel. A lot of Israelis are coming here for shopping.
- The city is full of 24h supermarkets. They don’t care about the tax-free area, And usually will be quite expensive. The big supermarkets up in the city itself will be much cheaper even compare to the rest of Israel.
One of them.
Another one on the other side.
- The city has free WiFi in all the touristic area! You can send selfies immediately back home.
Points of interest in the Eilat
The promenade and the beach
Lots of shops of international and Israeli brands, fancy restaurants and tourist stuff. The beaches here are poor in marine life and less suitable for snorkeling and diving.
Luxury Hotels, Leisure, and Landmines
At the end of the promenade, there is an artificial lagoon which was built in order to add a leisure and beach area to the northern beach, the plan was to build hotels and attractions around it. As they finished digging it they found out that the circulation with the sea is not good and the lagoon is filled with seaweed which makes the water murky and unpleasant for a swim.
It is still a nice place to see and very photogenic. The place is also close to the border with Jordan, so on one side, you can see the lagoon, and 50 meter from it signs alerting of mine fields…
Musical Fountain of Eilat
shows on: Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.
on 19:30, 20:30
Dead Tourist Attractions Of Eilat
As the tourist and leisure city that it is, in Eilat, there are many tourist’s attractions. For many reasons, the most grandiose attractions after few glorious years failed and now stand as a monument to their glorious past.
- IMAX pyramid– a 5 dimension cinema that was built in a big pyramid. Next to the musical fountain.
- City Of The Kings – Was an amusement park with a biblical theme built inside a big castle, kids were going crazy here.
- The Artificial Lagoon- Next to the city of kings. was supposed to be extra shoreline and leisure area. still, a nice place to chill or camp.
- Wild West Town – Used to host shows of live actors performing stunts and “gun fights” Wild West style. located in Almog beach. Kids were going crazy here.
- Princess Hotel – for many years was considered to be the fanciest hotel in Eilat. Today it’s hosting mostly bats. Located on the southern coast next to the border with Egypt.
grown ups were going crazy here.
Eilat Bird Watching Park
I will just quote their website:
It is hard to believe, but an abandoned garbage dump on the outskirts of Eilat is considered one of the most important wildlife habitats in the world, as it is the main – perhaps the only – way station for over a billion migratory birds on their way between Europe – Asia and Africa.
So yea. If you are into birds ( I know some of those people) it is a place Birdwatchers come from all over the world.
Ice Mall of Eilat
In the middle of the desert, someone thought it will be a good idea to build an ice skating compound in the middle of a mall…. well when you get 40 degrees Celsius in the summer I can understand why.